Monday, April 15, 2013

The Tragic Side of Fitness

I'm sure by now everyone has heard about the tragic events at the Boston Marathon today. It sickens me to think that there are people out there whose sole purpose is to hurt others. Why? If you're miserable, fine. Be miserable. But why inflict harm on people you've never met and have nothing to do with the sad situation you find yourself in? 

I guess you can't apply logic to messed up jerks like that, but I still wish the world would be a nicer place. I just can't wrap my mind around that kind of anger. 


My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to those touched by these horrible acts if violence. If you haven't heard about it and are interested in reading more information, HERE'S a link.

On to less exciting talk.

Yesterday I tried Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 video for the first time. 

It's pretty brutal, considering I thought I already had a pretty high level of fitness. You do 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs. The strength wore me out pretty good, but the cardio kicked my tail! It always does. I run a lot, do an hour of Spin twice a week, and I still feel like I get winded easily.

I took a rest day on Saturday, partly because my schedule didn't allow it since there's no childcare at the gym on Saturdays, and partly because I just plain didn't feel like it. I needed a rest day, both physically and emotionally. Not having Hubs with me most of the week was stressful, and my rope was wearing pretty thin. Looking back on it, I sorta wish I had taken some frustrations out on some Jillian Michaels, but oh well.

One thing I want to say about the Ripped in 30 program is that it comes with a free dining plan. This dining plan is at about 1400 calories, with the expectation that you are to do this workout every day. According to my heart rate monitor, I burned about 320 calories. Now, My Fitness Pal allows me to eat 1400 calories even if I don't work out at all, and then expects me to eat whatever calories I burn via exercise on the days that I do. A lot if the muscle building websites say pretty much to eat as much as possible as long as it's mostly meat, veggies, and complex carbs. So what diet theory should we follow? No wonder weight control is so durn difficult!

Anyway. That's confusion for another day.

Here's today's workout. It kicked my boot-tay!! It probably shouldn't have, but by golly, through those last sets, I was ready to hurt someone. Or myself.

No cardio today. Just putting that out there. This is the first time I've ever been to the gym and not done cardio. 

#historicmilestone

Song of the workout:


Howlin' For You by The Black Keys. My iPod really didn't help pump me up, but this song was the highlight of what I listened to today.

I want to do a weekend wrap up, but I think I'll save that for another post. This one is getting awfully long already.


Stay safe, my friends. And hug your loved ones closer tonight. And appreciate your health. And use it to live your best life. And think on those who lost theirs today, and allow that to wash over you and appreciate the life you have to live!

#GodBlessBoston

2 comments:

  1. Boston was devastating, I can't beleive people like that exist in our world. :((
    Great workout!!
    Im your latest follower, omn bloglovin, I will miss google reader as well!!

    ReplyDelete